ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES: Living in the high desert of the Southwest, we at Casa Cuma Bed & Breakfast have rapidly become aware of our impact on the environment and have worked to find ways to reduce our environmental footprint. We are committed to protecting the environment, the health and well-being of our guests and employees, and the community in which we live and work. We are committed to these goals while maintaining our high standards of guest comfort and enjoyment. Here are a few of the ways we are working to reduce our impact on the environment and to help make our one wonderful planet a better place for all creatures and life to live:
- Weekly recycling of plastics, aluminum, glass and paper
- Composting of all appropriate kitchen material
- Solar powered outdoor lighting (with the exception of safety related lights)
- Light sensitive, motion activated safety lights (are on only when dark and when people present)
- Organic gardening to produce on site as much produce as possible for our use
- Low flow toilets in all bathrooms
- Rain water collection system (water used for watering plants and flowers)
- Highest level of insulation on hot tub cover
- Low emission/high fuel efficient vehicle (Toyota Prius Hybrid) used for all business transportation needs
- Refillable shampoo/conditioner/bath soap dispensers (filled with high quality moisturizing products) – eliminates excessive waste of individual plastic bottles and their contents
- Rechargeable batteries used when possible
- Timers for internal common area lights
- Email confirmations and E-Brochures to reduce amount of paper products used
- Front loading, low water use washing machine used for all laundry
Living in the high desert of the Southwest, we at Casa Cuma Bed & Breakfast have rapidly become aware of our impact on the environment and have worked to find ways to reduce our environmental footprint. We are committed to protecting the environment, the health and wellbeing of our guests and employees, and the community in which we live and work. We are committed to these goals while maintaining our high standards of guest comfort and enjoyment.
Our Participation in Phase One of the Green Concierge Certification®
In January of 2013, Casa Cuma voluntarily agreed to participate in HospitalityGreen’s, Green Concierge (GC) Certification® Program. The property is currently in Phase One of the (GC) Certification Program. Throughout the year our property will continue to improve and track our environmental sustainable practices. It is our intention to qualify as a Tier One – Bronze facility under the GC Certification program by the close of 2013.
Our Sustainable Practices
In pursuit of our goal to attain GC Certification, we are currently implementing the following practices:
- We replace expired light bulbs with energy efficient ones.
- We recycle our bottles, cans, cardboard, paper, electronics, CFL’s, metal, used furniture and linens.
- We compost 70% of our kitchen waste.
- Using the Resource Tracking Tool developed by HospitalityGreen, we are tracking all of our resource usage and recycling.
- We use minimum 30% recycled content writing papers.
- We opt for cloth napkins and hand towels over paper options. Our bathroom tissue comes from minimum 50% recycled content paper.
- We dispose of hazardous waste according to state regulations.
- Our caterers were selected because they buy in-season produce from local farms.
- We are testing Green Seal certified non-toxic cleaning products.
- Our sinks, showerheads and toilets are water-conserving models.
- We reduce waste by buying in bulk and using re-fillable soap and shampoo dispensers.
- We have participated in an energy audit within the last 2 years.
- We purchase Energy Star appliances when possible.
What is HospitalityGreen’s Green Concierge Certification®?
Hospitality Green LLC is a New York based consulting firm specializing in environmental and operations consulting services. HospitalityGreen partners with service-based and product-based clients throughout the hospitality, manufacturing and institutional healthcare industries, to implement sustainable business practices.
The Green Concierge Certification®, conceived by HospitalityGreen in 2009, works with tourism and lodging facilities throughout the U.S. to help improve their economic vitality and their sustainable business practices without compromising service delivery or customer satisfaction.
There are 114 facilities currently participating in the Green Concierge (GC) Certification program. The GC Certification provides a third –party audit for performance-based improvements in resource use, conservation and environmentally conscious practices.
The GC Certification process is structured in three tiers (Bronze, Silver and Gold) – with each tier providing a realistic benchmark and advancement to subsequent tiers dependent upon a business’ commitment, their verifiable resource tracking and their dedication to increasingly rigorous sustainable practices.
The GC Certification is recognized in an elite group of national and international third party certification programs.
For more information on the Green Concierge Certification, visit hospitalitygreen.com.